Job Vacancy – Ponteland
Personal Assistant (Direct Payments)
We are currently looking to recruit an experienced Personal Assistant, to provide specialist support for a child who is 3 years of age with complex health care needs.
This little girl has spina bifida and has breathing support via a ventilator; her ventilation needs have improved but she can have moments where her ventilator is ineffective, usually if she is unhappy or unwell. She is bright and engaging and communicates through Makaton sign language.
The successful candidate would work alongside her family and other personal assistants to care for her at home and in the community. It will be an important requirement to form a relationship with the child and her family, so that you can learn how to meet her complex health needs and help her to continue to develop.
A range of hours are available over a 7 day period, employer is happy to discuss hours and days at interview with suitable applicants.
- You should have the confidence to care for a child with complex needs in a community setting and be able to work in partnership with her parents.
- To play, engage and care for this little girl as appropriate to age.
- To undergo training to meet the child’s complex needs.
- To work under the guidance of her parents.
- To report any concerns to the child’s parents.
- To recognise your own limitations and say if not yet confident to carry out any tasks.
- To collect/ prepare/ clean equipment/ feed/ medication as directed by her parents and/or plan.
- Some flexibility required around working hours.
- If needed to take or collect siblings to and from activities if the parents are needed at home.
Typical work activities vary according to the role, but may include:
- Playing and engaging as appropriate with a toddler.
- Airway management from tracheostomy, ventilation and de-saturations.
- Assisting/ performing intermittent catheterisations as needed through the day.
- Administering medication as per plan.
- Gastrostomy feeds as per plan.
- Personal care tasks.
- Allow time for the child to express her wishes using eye pointing and yes/ no cards.
- Ensure that the area where you are working is kept clean and tidy at all times, to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the child.
You will be required to pass background checks by the Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS), cost to be met by the employer.
References will be required from current/recent employer.
Rate of Pay
£9.20 per hour.
Holidays are 5.6 weeks per annum, pro-rata.
Car driver essential and must be insured for business use.
For more information and to request an application form please contact Bettina Paterson on: 01670 – 629090