Disability North is proud to host a variety of informative, up-to-the-minute training courses for healthcare professionals, carers and anyone with an interest in disability.
From Moving & Handling training to legal, health and social care training, our courses cover a range of topics.
CPD-accreditation is available in some occasions – please see individual course details.
Training courses listing
Introducing the role of a Personal Assistant in Health and Social Care
This free to attend three half day course will be held on the following dates;
Saturdays – 26th January/2nd February/9th February 2019
9.30am to 12.30pm
Mondays – 28th January/4th February/ 11th February 2019
10.00am to 1.00pm
Tuesdays – 26th February/5th March/ 12th March 2019
5.30pm to 8.30pm
at Disability North, The Dene Centre, Castle Farm Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE3 1PH – 0191 2840480.
This course will cover the following;
• Overview of what Social Care is.
• Introduction to the main models of Disability.
• What Personalisation is, how it has become part of Social Care Policy and where the role of a Personal Assistant fits in.
• What the role of a Personal Assistant is, the skills and values that Direct Payment employers want and an understanding of ‘Person Centred Care’.
• Equality and Diversity in relation to disability.
• An understanding of safeguarding, signs of abuse and what to do if abuse is suspected.
• Health and Safety from an employee’s perspective.
• Some of the issues to consider when applying for Personal Assistant Roles and once in the role of Personal Assistant
To access a booking form please click on the following link: PA Course Application Form.
Relatives of six disabled people who died due to Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) failings have backed a new petition to MPs that calls for an independent inquiry into deaths linked to the department’s actions. The petition – backed by four leading grassroots groups of disabled activists, and Disability News Service (DNS) – says […]