Disability North is proud to host a variety of informative, up-to-the-minute training courses for healthcare professionals, carers and anyone with an interest in disability.
From Moving & Handling training to legal, health and social care training, our courses cover a range of topics.
CPD-accreditation is available in some occasions – please see individual course details.
Training courses listing
Introducing the role of a Personal Assistant in Health and Social Care
This free to attend three half day course will be held on the following dates;
Saturdays – 26th January/2nd February/9th February 2019
9.30am to 12.30pm
Mondays – 28th January/4th February/ 11th February 2019
10.00am to 1.00pm
Tuesdays – 26th February/5th March/ 12th March 2019
5.30pm to 8.30pm
at Disability North, The Dene Centre, Castle Farm Road, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE3 1PH – 0191 2840480.
This course will cover the following;
• Overview of what Social Care is.
• Introduction to the main models of Disability.
• What Personalisation is, how it has become part of Social Care Policy and where the role of a Personal Assistant fits in.
• What the role of a Personal Assistant is, the skills and values that Direct Payment employers want and an understanding of ‘Person Centred Care’.
• Equality and Diversity in relation to disability.
• An understanding of safeguarding, signs of abuse and what to do if abuse is suspected.
• Health and Safety from an employee’s perspective.
• Some of the issues to consider when applying for Personal Assistant Roles and once in the role of Personal Assistant
To access a booking form please click on the following link: PA Course Application Form.
Manual Handling Law and Practice
The course provides an update and overview on manual handling law and practice, it is inter-active and illustrates the law throughout with case studies. It includes information on the following topics:
• Overview of relevant law, including Health And Safety At Work (e.g. Manual Handling Regulations), Care Act, NHS Act, Human Rights Act, Mental Capacity Act, Common Law of Negligence.
• General update on manual handling case law.
• Balancing needs under welfare legislation with staff safety under Health and Safety at Work legislation.
• Implications of single-handed care (including legal, financial and welfare implications).
• Informal carers and manual handling.
• Safeguarding and manual handling.
• Capacitated risk taking in manual handling by service users, including direct payments.
Michael Mandelstam provides independent legal training. He has also written many legal books on health and social care, including the Care Act 2014: An A-Z of Law And Practice (2017) the manual handling legal chapter in the Handling of People (including 6th edition, and 7th forthcoming), Safeguarding Adults: An A-Z Of Law And Practice (forthcoming 2018), and Manual Handling: An A-Z Of Law And Practice (2002, 2nd edition forthcoming 2019).
Booking Your Place
The course takes place on 29 November 2018 at Disability North and the cost to attend is £110 (plus vat).
You can book to attend online by clicking on the following link: Manual Handling Law and Practice (Online Booking)
You can access the booking form in a pdf fomat by clicking on the following link: Manual Handling Booking Form
The Disability North blog will be a place for our team, our service users, our friends, professionals and members of the community to share, explore or question diverse topics of interest to our community. Please stay tuned and if you have something to say we would love to hear from you!