Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Hours: Up to 25 hours per week with opportunity for additional shifts. Some weekend working will be required.
Salary: £12.50 per hour rising to £15.00 per hour following successful probation period (annual equivalent £31k)
- Part of a professional 24/7 team
- 6 weeks paid leave per annum
- Nest Pension Scheme
- Double Time on Bank Holidays
- Role related training programme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Bike to Work Scheme
- Costco Card
- Premier Discount Club for Personal Assistants
About the Role
We are looking for a Personal Assistant/ Support Worker who is skilled in Positive Behaviour Support and experienced in working with autistic people. You must be a great team player.
A is a fun-loving young adult. She is autistic and has an intellectual disability and can exhibit behaviours of distress.
Our aim is to enhance A’s quality of life and develop sustainable behaviour strategies. The team’s focus is on supporting daily living skills and emotional stability. We promote choice, control and independence wherever possible.
A’s team support her on a 2-1 basis before and after school/placement and at weekends. The team work well together and have embraced the use of technology to support continuous learning and communication. Occasional night shifts may be available.
This is a great opportunity to make a positive difference to a young person’s life. You must be able to remain calm under pressure, be computer literate, and understand the challenges autistic people and people with intellectual disabilities face.
You will have an appropriate professional qualification and/or two years’ experience in a similar role.
You must be a driver and have access to a car.
Essential skills, knowledge and experience
- You must have previous experience of working with autistic children or adults and be able to implement a positive behaviour plan
- You must have Valid UK driving licence, and be an experienced driver
- You should be trained to NVQ/Diploma Level 2 in Health and Social Care (or have equivalent experience)
- You must be physically fit and active
- You must be authorised to work in the United Kingdom
- You must be resilient, compassionate and have great communication skills
This post is exempt under the Equality Act 2010 schedule 9 paragraphs 1 – 4.
How to apply
Please submit your CV with a covering letter highlighting how you meet the essential criteria to Directpayments@disabilitynorth.org.uk
A 15 minute Zoom call to find out more before you apply is available
Subject to DBS checks and two references one of which must be from your most recent employer.
Closing date: 4th January 2024
At the time of starting their employment, the successful candidate must have permission to work in the U.K.